Saturday, May 5, 2012

Special Moments


Today was a special day for my oldest niece, Maddy.  She took (received?) her first communion.

It was a good day with family.  My sister and her husband flew in from California.  I hadn't seen them since Thanksgiving, and truth be told I was so drugged up on Percocet that weekend because of my back surgery, I don't remember seeing them at all really!  So it's actually been since their wedding last May that I had spent any real time with them.

It's always a little weird to go to these events because I am not Catholic, and was raised Southern Baptist, so I always sort of muddle my way through the service.  But it was important to Maddy that we be there, so we don't mind going.  Rob says his presence hasn't caused the church to fall down yet, but we did have a rather loud thunder and lightening storm after the service!

A couple of months ago when we found out the date for the service, I asked my sister-in-law if there was anything special I could knit for Maddy for the event and she asked me to make her veil.  So I cobbled something together, and I think she was happy with it.  I got a lot of nice comments on it, and I was pretty proud of it since it's the first thing I've really designed myself.  I didn't design it completely from scratch.  I pulled a few stitch patterns from other patterns and from stitch dictionaries, but I had to modify them a bit so it took enough figuring out that I would call it my own design I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment