Thursday, November 14, 2013

Twisted Mix Tape Thursday

O.k., so it's really supposed to be Twisted Mix Tape Tuesday, but I'm a little behind in my blog reading so I just found out about it through My Story That I Like Best, who apparently found it through that cynking feeling who I also hadn't gotten to yet this week.



This week's theme is songs that tell a story, and boy did I have a time selecting only five.  Songs that tell a story are my favorite types of songs, but since I did have to narrow it down, here are some of my favorites, both new and old.  Not surprisingly, most of them are country songs.

"Don't Cry Joni" - Conway Twitty


My friend down the street had this record on a 45 and we must have played it a thousand times hanging out in her basement as kids.   I remember thinking how sad he must be that he realized he loved her too late.

"Teddy Bear" - Red Sovine


This song still brings tears to my eyes.  The thought of all those good-hearted truckers lining up to take him for a ride.  I thought CBs were the coolest thing as a kid and came up with all kinds of "handles" I'd use if I had one.

"I Hope They Get to Me in Time" - Darius Rucker


I love songs that not only have a story, but a message.  And Darius has one of the best voices I've ever heard.

"Before He Cheats" - Carrie Underwood


This is such a bad ass, take no shit, woman' song!  I would like to think I'd do this if I was ever in this situation, but in reality I would probably be too worried about getting arrested.

"Old City Bar" - Trans-Siberian Orchestra


I thought I'd throw a little Christmas in here since it's getting to be that time.  A lot of Trans-Siberian Orchestra's songs are story songs.  In fact, most of their albums are one big story.  If you have never seen them live, it's well worth the money.       

2 comments:

  1. Good picks! :) We have one of them in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which one? I'd love to see your list, but I'm not sure which one is yours. Thanks for checking mine out!

      Delete