Friday, November 22, 2013

Facebook Secret Peeping


I admit it, I'm a bit of a secret peeper on Facebook.  I have "friended" people that I knew years ago, solely for the purpose of seeing their pictures and finding out what they're lives are like now.  I don't really want to make them active friends in my real life, I'm just curious where they ended up. I'm not saying that all of my "friends" fit into that category, but some of them definitely do. 

I don't post a lot of Facebook, but I spend time there every day.  First, I have to play the game that I am ridiculously obsessed with (no it's not Candy Crush, although I play that a little too), but then I usually surf posts on my news feed looking at new pictures posted of some one's kids, vacation to the beach, or even their dinner.  I keep an eye on the "people you may know" list to see if someone I want to check out comes up.

Sometimes I don't even send a friend request.  A lot of people have their settings so that I can see their pictures and a lot of information without being "friends", and that's usually all I want to see.  Do they still look like I remember?  Are their kids cute?  Where do they live?

I have no desire to use this information in any way.  I don't even have anyone to gossip with about it, I'm just plain curious.  For instance, when the hell did all the heathens I went to high school with become so religious?  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against any one's Christian beliefs, it's just interesting to me how many people from my small high school class post daily Bible verses.

Then there are those people who will not cooperate with my desire to secret peep because they actually don't have a Facebook account.  For some reason I was thinking last night of a former friend who was a very good friend for a number of years.  For whatever reason, she stopped being my friend 10 years or so ago.  I say she stopped, because I tried to keep up the friendship for over a year, but she never seemed to reciprocate, so finally I just let it drop.  Last night I was just curious about what was going on in her life, but I can't find her or her husband (assuming they're still married) anywhere on Facebook.  I even did a basic Google search, but the only results were address, etc. that at least seem to indicate they still own the same house.

What struck me as most odd about this, is she is the one who first introduced me to the internet back in the days of dial-up.  I know that even in this time of technology everywhere, there are those who don't live their lives online, but even though I am very careful about what I post online, in one of those goose/gander moments, I find it very annoying when those people frustrate my desire to be a peeper.

Are you on Facebook?  How do you use Facebook?

No comments:

Post a Comment