Thursday, July 3, 2014

Throwback Thursday

I love "Throwback Thursday" because it never fails to bring back a memory I usually haven't thought about in a while.





This is one of my favorite pictures of me, my brother & my sister.  I believe we were about 7 (me), 4 (Lee), and 2 (Julie) in this picture.  The picture was taken on the front porch of the single wide trailer my parents owned at Atlantic Beach, NC until I was about 10 years old.

We had some great times in that trailer park.  It was on the sound side, so we swam & fished constantly.  I learned to eat oysters by going down into the sound with the old men at low tide and pulling them off the corrugated steel wall and eating them raw.  We only went to the actual beach occasionally because it involved walking several blocks and water was water to us.

Part of the trailer park is still there, but actual houses  have been built right on the sound.  What used to be a tangled mass of scrub and brush next door is now a chain hotel.  It was a whole different world back then, but it was our world, at least for large portions of each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment