Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Odds and Ends

I don't really have a single topic for today's post, more like a loosely strung together stream of thoughts, so here goes...

  • Am I the only one that thinks spell check and auto correct is leading to a generation of people who don't know how to spell, don't know the difference between similar words, and don't know how to use proper grammar?  Not that I'm perfect by any means, and we all make mistakes sometimes, such as my frequent typing of "form" when I mean "from", but does no one proofread anything anymore?  
    • Today's example...an acquaintance on Facebook posted a "sneak peak" at something.  WTF? Did a mountain sneak up on us somehow?  Did it spring up out of the earth like a science fiction movie?  And what makes it even worse is that the person who posted this is a teacher.
  • I know that my sense of direction is much better than average, but do people really drive the same route day in and day out and not know what the highway exit numbers are and what the signs say?  I was in an informal meeting not so long ago when someone was surprised that I could tell you not only every exit number I pass in my daily commute, but what the sign at the exit says as well.  Am I the oddball?  On the other hand, if I know how to get somewhere I can't always tell you the names of any minor streets you might have to take to get there, I just know how to go, but I do know all the major roads.
  • And lastly, does anyone find this sign as humorous as I do? I don't think the guy at the register thought it was funny when I asked him how the chocolate could be hot if it was frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment