Monday, April 21, 2014

Taming the Stash

Friday was a holiday for me, but Rob had to work, so I decided to tackle organizing and sorting my yarn and fiber closet.  The yarn stash has gotten rather large and was falling out of the bins & the addition of fiber for spinning wasn't helping, so it was time to add another set of cubes.

This was the closet shortly after I began.  I didn't think to take a pic until I had started taking a few things out, but you get the idea.
Yarn falling out of bins

Stuff all over the floor
I got it all out into my craft room, which was really a much bigger looking mess.

I've been trying to not buy a lot of yarn this year.  "Oh pretty" is often the reason I buy yarn, with only the vaguest idea of what I plan to do with it.  I've been pretty good so far, and have only bought yarn and fiber at a couple of planned events.  But if I needed any more proof that I really don't need to buy a lot of yarn, I got it Friday.
This is all my lace weight yarn
This is all of my fingering weight yarn
 Those are the two weights of yarn that I have the most of in my stash.  I didn't take a picture of the heavier yarn because I don't really have all that much of that.

The other good thing about pulling out all of the stash is it reminded me of some of the great yarn I do have, and I've already planned a couple of projects using yarn from my stash.  Plus....isn't it all so pretty?  It sort of makes me feel like Gollum and I just want to pet it and croon "my preeeciousssss".

So anyway, after 8 hours I finally had the new cube built and in the closet and all of the yarn and fiber stored nice and neatly.
This is all the lace weight, and the drawer tower has all my baby yarn and dishcloth cotton plus a few odds and ends

The two left bins are sweater quantities, the bottom right bin is the rest of my worsted/DK, and the top 3 bins are fingering weight.

This is the new 9 cube bin and it holds the rest of my fingering weight with my needle case sitting on top. That drawer tower on the right has some work horse worsted weight, my few skeins of handspun, and some odds and ends like buttons, beads, and dye.

The bottom left bin is some acrylic yarn and the other 3 bins are all my spinning fiber.

This is a shot from the door.  See...nothing on the floor!
Quite a productive day off, now if I can only keep it that way.  I've got more to ramble about regarding knitting and my craft room, but this post is probably long enough already, so I'll save that for tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Well done! A big job. I have to go back and organize the bins, but they are deep in the basement. So nice to see yarn on display.