Hoping to do a little better on some of the other ones this year though. The two general categories remain the same....health/weight loss and writing.
I put health first, because although I do want to lose weight, my first priority is recovering completely from my back surgery. I'm hoping in the process of focusing on that first that I will lose some weight, and I'm planning to take other steps to help with weight loss as well. However, I don't expect to complete my weight loss in 2012, but I do hope to make some progress and get myself in a better position physically to do the exercise I know will be necessary.
- Do exercises recommended by physical therapist, as often as recommended. (currently daily)
- Walk at least 1 mile either outside or on treadmill at least 2X per week. I hope to increase this over time in both the mileage and number of times per week, but right now 1 mile takes almost 30 minutes and the PT exercises make me really sore, so don't want to overdo to the point I give up and quit.
- Re-evaluate exercise goals monthly and set specific goals to achieve.
- Track food intake. Note that right now this is not "eat healthier" or anything similar. I just want to get in the habit of tracking what I eat. I know that as I make the tracking a habit I will naturally start to eat healthier.
I just need to make writing regularly a habit. There were a couple of weeks during the middle of my recovery from surgery, when I was still on pain meds but reducing the amounts, that I journaled in my handwritten journal daily, and sometimes more than once a day. Maybe it was the pain meds, or maybe it's that I was home alone so much at that point that I didn't have anyone to talk to so I just wrote things out instead, but I'd like to get back to doing my personal journaling on a more regular basis, in addition to posting here more frequently, and I still need to work on some of my story ideas as well.
I think I was a little overly ambitious last year about how much time I would be able to put aside for writing, but maybe not. I'm currently reading The Productive Writer and I may revise these goals some as I have time to ponder the recommendations in that book and see how they best apply to my real life.
- Write in handwritten journal at least twice per week. I should really try to do this daily, but I'm going to start with the 2X per week goal.
- Post on blog at least twice per week. Again, would love to do more, but I think the 2X per week is achievable.
- Spend at least 2 hours every month working on fiction. This includes fleshing out story ideas, reviewing and editing already written material, and doing writing exercises. I should be able to find at least 1 weekend in every month where I can find 2 hours of quiet to do this, but if I manage it in 15 minute increments throughout the month, that works too.